Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The verdict is in......

pinto bean bread is delicious!!!


Even picky pooh Matthew loved it and ate 2 pieces! We all did! The texture was great too! I was concerned because I drained and rinsed the beans so when i tried to mash them it wasn't working so well so I decided to try putting them in the food processor but they still wouldn't get really very pureed. They still had some chunks. I used a wire wisk to try mashing them more. When I put them in the recipe they were pretty chunky. They just kind of disolved between the mixing and the baking process. There weren't ANY chunks in the bread at all.

Brian is the baker in our family and he kept saying it was delicious! He was pretty surprised since it had beans in it. I was too, to be honest. But what a great way to add protein and fiber to the bread.

I was SO thrilled when the dough was rising!! It's so exciting! I've told you about my past flops with yeast. I have NEVER had it work right! It was so fun and easy and made me feel kinda good to think I could actually do it right!

Here's the recipe...

Pinto Bean Bread

2 C mashed, unseasoned pinto beans (can be pureed)
6 C all-purpose flour
2 t salt
2 C milk, scalded
2 T sugar
2 T yeast
2 T shortening

Pour milk into large bowl and when warm stir in yeast until dissolved. Blend in beans, salt, sugar and shortening.

Add 4 C flour to handle easily. Knead until smooth and elastic.

Place into greased bowl and let raise until double.

Divide dough into 2 portions and shape into loaves. Place in greased pans and let rise till almost double.

Bake @ 350 for 50 min.

3 comments:

Tara said...

I've been wondering if you made it. Now I'm going to have to try it for sure! Looks yummy! I could almost smell homemade bread as I read your post :)

Kale and Rowdy said...

I'm trying it today! I hope it's good. I made strawberry jam that I'm dying to try on some homemade bread. Can't wait!
Thanks for posting the recipe.

Ginger said...

I'm definitely going to have to try this one. Thanks for sharing.