Friday, April 9, 2010

Mumus

So I was trying on some clothes at J.C.Penney's yesterday and as I was leaving the store empty handed I started thinking... I have a closet FULL of clothes but I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to wear!!! It's true!!! Some years back women were lucky to afford fabric to make themselves one dress and had 1 pair of shoes for working in and one special Sunday dress and nice shoes for church, parties, and town dances. My source for this information comes from years of watching Little House on the Prairie so it may not be totally accurate but it sure seems about right. I'm sure that's all that Ma and Pa really could afford anyway.  :)  Now a-days we have oodles and oodles of clothes and feel like we always need more. We're kind of a mess! I was thinking yesterday though how nice those old times must have been in some ways. People back then didn't complain so much, at least Ma didn't, lucky for Pa!!! Brian would trade Pa places in a heart beat! I complain far too much about the clothes and shoes thing. Think of how easy it was to get dressed back then. I spend more time re-hanging clothes that I changed my mind about wearing once I had them on and decided I looked like crap in them. Once you wash shirts a few times they start to lose their shape and color and sometimes become unrecognizeable as the shirt you actually purchased. I once bought a shirt at Target 2 sizes too big because I wanted it for those days when I'm bloated, uncomfortable and wanted something super long and plenty roomy so when I just want to wear sweats all day long but feel like I should wear normal clothes instead of sweats I had something somewhat cutish. Well, I figured if it was THAT much too big I could surely put it in the dryer. It shrunk so small after one washing it was ridiculous!!! Way short and it shrunk at least those extra 2 sizes! If I just had one dress to wear on workdays and one for Sunday it sure would make that part easier. Also, think of all the bulges that would be hidden in one of those big ol' dresses. Who cares if you're having a "fat day". Goodbye "fat jeans" forever!!! No one would ever be the wiser because you'd be covered completely! Polynesians and Mrs. Roper had it figured OUT!!! MUMUS all the way!!!! Even I could make one of those I think. Straight lines pretty much. I could even make them in all different colors and prints if I wanted to go CRAZY!!! Short sleeved in summer and spring and long sleeved in winter and fall. There's my solution right there...mumus!!! Brian will be so happy!!! ;)     
I REALLY NEED TO GO ON A DIET!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Kale and Rowdy said...

I, too, have a love/hate relationship with clothes. I hate that the world dictates what is cool to wear, yet I buy into it too, because I get tired of feeling like I'm so obviously out of date in my "style" (if you can call it that :) Did you ever make the bread?

Zack Attack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zack Attack said...

Are you kidding I dont even like the sweats and you want to start wearing mumus, sorry no mumus will be brought into our home!:)

Tara said...

I'm so out of style it's pathetic. Besides, the stylish clothes don't even fit me right anyways. I'll pass on the mumu, but I think I'll go for scrubs. They look awfully comfy and then people assume that you've been working in the medical field to boot. You're automatically someone important and you get to wear drawstring pants every day! Sounds fabulous to me!

Denette said...

I like how you refer to little house on the prairie. If I gave in, Shane would have us living like that. He thinks the simpler the life the happier you are. I agree to some extent, but I enjoy having more than 2 rooms to my house.

As for the clothing I think I need to agree with Tara B. Scrubs are the way to go.

Ginger said...

You're too funny Tara! No mumus here either - I would really look fat! I'll just wear my jeans during the week and skirts on Sundays.