Saturday, January 9, 2010

My ring....

One of the prongs on my wedding ring bent a couple of weeks ago so I took it into the jewelry store to have it fixed. They said it also needed to have the prongs replaced or redone or something because they were so worn down. I have been without it for over 2 weeks and finally got it back last night. I missed it so much! I've been wearing it for 17 years now (well February it will be the 17th anniversary of our engagement) and it is just kind of...part of me, you know. It's just always there and to not have it made me appreciate it even more once it was back. It looks so BEAUTIFUL again too! It was REALLY, REALLY dirty! Mommyhood is a DIRTY job!!! Anyway, I mostly love the feelings behind which all came flooding back to me of when Brian gave it to me and asked me to be his wife. And when he placed it on my finger at the temple after we were sealed for time and all eternity. To me it is special and lovely and will always be a part of me and a wonderful symbol of our love for each other. I once had a sister in law (she and my brother in law have since divorced) who, after a year of marriage traded her ring in on a new model. Yes! She did this! It still blows my mind! To be completely honest, my ring is much more flashy than anything I would have ever chosen for myself. I would have chosen a plain white or yellow gold band with a single diamond in the middle if I were the one doing the choosing because I'm just more simple and plain I suppose. Well, Brian chose this ring for me and presented it to me with LOVE and I will always cherish it and LOVE it more than any other ring on earth because HE gave it to me and it is our SYMBOL, you know?! Not having it really got me thinking these last couple of weeks about all the ring symblolizes for us. I was almost as happy last night to have it back as I was to get it from him the first time he gave it to me. I seriously got teary. I hope you all take a moment to remember back to the sweet moment your husband asked you to marry him. Think back on those feelings. Think about what the ring symbolizes and the feelings and emotions that were wrapped up in that beautiful moment that was sealed with a kiss and a ring.....

2 comments:

Denette said...

I lost my ring a few years back and had the whole neighborhood looking for it. Shane kept saying we could just get another one. I told him even if it looked exactly the same it wouldn't be the ring he gave me.

We found it a few days later and seriously all the neighborhood kids (who were helping look) cheered. It was seriously traumatic.

Ginger said...

I had my ring re-sized a couple months ago. I hadn't been wearing it because it was too big and I was afraid I would lose it. So glad to have it back - although I wish it were even a smaller size. It's amazing how a ring can symbolize so much and have so much love encircled in it.