Monday, January 4, 2010

I guess I'll call it Fat, Ugly, Old, and Toothless....

~There are millions of people that are joining gyms or going back to the gym as part of their New Year's resolutions. The problem is that by February most of them have lost their motivation and stop going. I'm so pathetic that I can't even find the motivation to only be motivated for a month! I'm in trouble! Luckily I didn't gain any weight over the holidays. At the rate I exercised my elbow it's actually a miracle I didn't gain. I need to do something though. I REFUSE to go on a diet though. I just need to make smarter choices. Add more fruits and veggies to my diet, add more fiber, eat smaller portions, exercise more, drink more water, etc. Stop exercising the elbow so much!!!
~My complection has been terrible for the last year. It's down right yucky! Any suggestions? I think it might be because I'm old. I turn 37 this month!!! THIRTY SEVEN!!!! That my friends..is...OLD!!!
~15 years ago I decided to make some homemade bread. I mixed, kneaded, let it rise, punched it down, shaped it, let it rise again. This is such a process for an impatient person to go through!!! It was worth the wait as I smelled it baking and could almost taste the deliciousness of the bread as I waited for it to finish. You can imagine my disappointment when I took the loaves from the oven and found that they were like unleaven bread! What did I do wrong?! I have no idea! I have only ever attempted making things that require yeast a couple of times since because I just couldn't handle the disappointment. I did find a yummy recipe for breadsticks from my sister in law Stephanie that is tasty, easy, and if I can make it anyone can make it. Yesterday I decided I was in the mood for homemade bread of some kind. I flipped through cookbooks and found a roll recipe that sounded good. I mixed, kneaded, let rise....but wait...they didn't rise. Oh, well maybe if I punch it down, shape into rolls and let rise for the last 30 minutes as directed it will actually rise a little....NOPE!!! Still nothing!!! Well, I decided I had come this far I'd bake them and hope for the best. They rose a teensy, tinsy bit while baking. They tasted good but did not look right AT ALL!!! It's official...yeast is not my friend!!! I would LOVE to find a really tasty whole wheat bread recipe to make that would actually work out. If you have one please share! Please also include very detailed instructions so I might have better luck this time. From the words of W.C. Fields,"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
~I hate cleaning out the car but I'm going to have to do it! I always swore my car would never be disgusting when I had kids. I thought people that had kids and let them make their car nasty were crazy loons and I swore I would never do that! Well, I do that! I cringe every time we move the car seats and see the disgustingness under neat on our cars seat. It's a dirty job and like all other dirty jobs my family create I have to clean it up! Hopefully I don't end up with a fungus...
~I have been in pain morning, noon, and night for like 3 months now. At first the dentist just thought I was clenching my teeth at night and that that was causing my whole mouth to hurt all the time especially when I eat something. After an x-ray he discovered that I have a tooth that I paid $600 five years ago to "fix" with a root canal and crown. Well, it has bothered me ever since and now it has to have the root canal redone which will cost $800-$1200 to have done. I've decided to just have the stupid thing pulled. I am not spending another dime on a stupid tooth that is most likely going to have to be pulled anyway! I have to take ibuprofen round the clock to avoid excruciating pain so although it's not my dream to be toothless or anything I am really, really looking forward to having this tooth taken out tomorrow!!! It will be nice to be pain free in a few days!!!! Can't wait!!!
~I am so grateful for antibiotics and modern medicine. I have been reading a book set in the 1800s and one of the characters is a 6 year old boy who has pneumonia. He struggled for so long and finally over came it in the story. It makes me think about how grateful I am to live in a time when we have medicine, knowledgeable doctors, xrays, elecricity for nebulizers, etc. I think about my Grandma Leota who buried a tiny son who died from an infection from his circumcision the year before penicillin was discovered. How lucky we are to live in this time of wonderful modern medicine. Of course it still doesn't always guarantee anything but it often does and at least gives us a better chance than people who lived not too awfully long ago.
~We played a fun card game over the Christmas break called Swap. It's not the Wife Swap game ;) it's just called Swap and is more like Uno. It is so much fun! My kids are addicted now! If you are looking for a fun new game to try pick it up!
~Well, I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a super fun New Year's Eve! We did! We are getting so old though! We fell asleep in the 11:00 hour. We had even put together puzzles, played games, and ate tons of snacks to try to keep us awake to no avail. I woke up at 12:02. I nudged Brian and said It's 12:02. He said oh, Happy New Year! We kissed quick and went back to sleep. I was ready for bed by 7:30 that night. It's official...we're old!!!

3 comments:

Shani said...

Tara, my ward is having an Enrichment Class next week teaching us how to bake bread in 1 hr. Start to Eating!!! I'll let you know how it's done when I find out.

Tara said...

I'll be fat, old, ugly and toothless with you! At this point it almost doesn't phase me anymore! That must mean I really am getting old! I finally found a minute to sit down and blog....had to get over my moody streak...
Tara

Denette said...

I haven't had much success with bread either. I am fine with rolls, but a loaf is another story. That is why I buy the Rhodes loaves. You stick them in a pan, they rise, you bake and you end up with the yummy smell. They taste pretty good too. They have both white and wheat. Nothing beats bread out of the oven with jam on it. My mouth is watering as I type.