Saturday, November 21, 2009

Today I am thankful for.....

being able to RAMBLE!!!!!
~Max is 3 years old and weighs 38 lbs. I'm wondering if it would be ok if I stuffed 2 lbs of rocks in his pockets so he can weigh 40 lbs. and start sitting in a booster in the car. Not a fan of car seats! I'm a fan of the safety aspect of course but not of the constant buckling and unbuckling. I know it sounds so lazy of me but some of my happiest moments have come on the days my children start sitting in a booster and we can ditch the car seat. Even better was the day we got rid of Zack's booster and he could just sit in his normal seat...buckled normally...ALL...BY...HIMSELF!!!! Max has a new puffy winter coat which adds some fun to the whole experience!!
~I LOVE Pandora!!! If you haven't experienced the joy of Pandora and you live in a small town that has THE WORST radio stations EVER then you will truly LOVE Pandora!!! Also, if your computer has crashed and lost all of the hundreds of Cd's you copied to your computer and all of the songs you have purchased on itunes over the years...you will LOVE Pandora even more!!! If you don't know what I'm talking about go to pandora.com. It's called Pandora Radio. It's so cool!! You register your information so they can save the stations you pick. It's totally FREE!!! The way you get started is you just type in your favorite singer or song and then a box will pop up with a song on it that they think you would also like based on your choice. The song will play. You either 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down it'. If you 'thumbs up' it it will keep going in that direction of music. If you 'thumbs down it' it tries a new song. It saves your 'stations' you set up and each time you return to pandora.com you just pick a station it has saved for you or you can always at any time create a new station without any problem. If you're listening to country and you decide you are in an Elvis mood..go for it! That's a fun choice by the way! Or if you want Van Halen type stuff , Frank Sinatra, or just really...anything, it will do whatever you want! It's like having an ipod or a super great mixed tape or something! I LOVE it!!! It's my new favorite thing!!!
~So, I love to cook! I'm not a huge baker! That was always my big sister Dana's forte. She always enjoyed making cookies and other yummy stuff and I enjoyed eating them so it worked out really well for me. Then later my little sisters Stephanie and Katie would bake cookies a lot and once again it was just a super great deal for me. Also my mom is such an amazing cook and baker and everything she makes is absolutely delicious so I, in some way or another had plenty of great treats without actually making them on my own. One time in high school I tried making my own brownies from scratch and forgot to put FLOUR in them. NOT GOOD!!! Then I married Brian and he is a wonderful cook as well and a great baker too! The poor man ate the meals I made for him when we were first married! He deserves some kind of great prize for that I tell ya! People would always ask at his family gatherings and especially at my family gatherings if I made what we brought or if Brian did. They wanted fair warning and I can't blame them! He makes my mom's rolls so well that his own family has asked him on many occasions to bring the rolls for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or what ever gathering rolls would be good at. He makes delicious bread and all sorts of yummy treats. Once again...why bother baking when it is done so well for you?! Well, now that Brian has been working and is not a student anymore and life is busier and crazier he doesn't really have time for baking treats or making dinner very much so I have had to step up to the plate. I actually cook pretty well and I enjoy cooking meals and finding new yummy, easy, fast recipes to make. I have learned some very important things over the years. #1 rule: Turns out 'high' isn't always the best temperature to cook stuff on. #2 rule: To be a good cook you must have PATIENCE!!! I was not born with this virtue for sure!! But it's true...if you cook some things longer they actually taste better! I want my food FAST so it has taken me a long time to get used to this but I must say I think I'm pretty good at it now! I have even started baking the last few years a lot more than ever before. One reason is that since Matthew is deathly allergic to all nuts I read labels....a lot!!! Have you ever taken the time to really read labels on your food? It's a little scary what they are putting in our food to preserve it! So between wanting to not hurt my son and wanting to control the ingredients I put in my families bodies I have baked a lot more goodies the last few years. I'm ok at it. I still don't make breads or rolls. Oh, Rhodes bread and rolls...SURE! Although occasionally I will make my sister-in-law Stephanie's delicious bread sticks. They are so easy I can even make them. They only take like 45 minutes start to finish. There's no kneading required!!!! You just mix the ingredients, let it set for 20 minutes and bake them for 20 minutes and that's it. If you start them when you start dinner they are done when dinner is done. Very versatile recipe too. You can make them as rolls or bread sticks. You can make them all Italianed up or just buttery or for a really super yummy treat slather them in butter and put a layer of brown sugar over that and then sprinkle withe cinnamon before you bake them. Put your favorite cinnamon roll glaze or frosting over them and you have cinnamon rollish deliciousness. I think I'll post the recipe on my recipe blog. (top right corner if you want it) Anyhoo, one super great thing that has been happening lately is that my 10 year old LOVES to cook! I won't let him mess with the stove much but I totally let him make stuff to bake. Brian or I just do the oven part. His specialty is brownies. MY FAVORITE!!! How lucky am I?!
~By the way...dark hunter green carpet totally bites!!! It is all over the basement we are living in and holy cow is it hard to keep clean. And the really short nap of it makes it even more difficult to vacuum. I used to think wood chips were so NOT cool!! I mean I would find them EVERYWHERE!! It was like my son would come home from school with them stuffed in his pockets and sprinkle them at random all around the house. Well, I had NO IDEA what I was talking about!!! Wood chips are downright DREAMY compared to SAND!!!!!!! My kids attend a school with sand instead of wood chips and HOLY COW!!! I can't get the junk to vacuum up off of this carpet to save my life! I even tried Brian's mom's Elecrolux and it didn't do any better than my $38 special!
~I've been trying to be all positive and think of all my blessings this month and have been writing what I'm thankful for on facebook and on my blog. I am SO grateful for my blessings but sometimes a girl just has to ramble a little!! Today, I am grateful that I can ramble and you'll read my ramblings!!! Thank YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Ginger said...

My house has that gross dark green carpet in every room but two. I HATE IT!! It's the worst! In fact, I vacuumed twice this morning already. You vacuum and it's already looking dirty again. I would LOVE to have the money to replace the carpet in my whole house, but that's not going to happen any time soon.