Monday, November 23, 2009

I am thankful for Spencer Roundy!!!!!

In 1994 Brian and I had been married for a year and we lived in an apartment in my parent's neighborhood. We went to the same church building they did and taught primary. One of the adorable little children in the primary was Spencer Roundy. He was diagnosed with brain cancer. He fought a good fight! He was so sweet and smiley and everyone just loved him and rooted for him and prayed and fasted for him. He fought the cancer for 6 years. He passed away in November 2000 at the age of 10. He was such a thoughtful and sweet boy! He was given an assignment in class not long before he passed away to write down 3 wishes. Now this is a boy who has struggled with this illness for 6 years. Basically he wrote that he wanted to be like Santa and give presents to children and help give clothes to children who needed them. How sweet!!! He was a fan of the Utah Jazz and had had the opportunity to meet the Jazz Bear mascot who loved Spencer. A year after his death Bear hosted a party where he brought $7500.00 in donations for children in the area. He committed to continue coming here every Christmas as long as the family collected the donations. They call it Spencer's Wishes. Every year they collect and every year he comes! Many children have been blessed by this great family, Spencer, and Bear. My brother, Nathan is good friends with Spencer's older brother Jason and has participated in this special day several times. I was lucky enough to be at WalMart a few years ago when the buses pulled up with the children in them who were there to get gifts. They were able to pick anything they wanted with the money they were given. Toys, clothes, music, movies, games. Whatever they needed and wanted. I think they get $100 per child. It was a beautiful experience seeing the joy on all of these sweet children's faces as they were able to benefit from the kindness of strangers who CARE!!! I marvel at the family's ability to take such an incredibly sad and difficult experience and bring something so amazing out of it!!! When we moved back into the neighborhood several years later I was in a church class of women that Spencer's mother taught. The topic she had been asked to teach about was grieving. I'm sure that was not easy for her but I will always be grateful for her willingness to share her experiences and to feel the spirit in the room so very strongly because of the sacredness of what she was sharing about her experiences with Spencer, her angel boy as he struggled to fight for so long. I live in the same town again but a different neighborhood and I am so touched by the love the community still has for Spencer, his family, and Spencer's Wishes. When I was getting new tires I saw a jar on the counter collecting for Spencer's Wishes and I unloaded what little I had in my wallet. Who could pass up such an amazing thing as Spencer's Wishes! There was a radio-thon on the local radio station the other day raising money and on Spencer's Wishes facebook his mom said they were able to raise $18,000!!! AWESOME!!! Think of all they can do for children with that! I LOVE IT!!! When I think of Spencer and Spencer's Wishes I instantly have a reverent, respectful feeling come over me. I just love what they do and love that such an amazing little boy that touched so many lives in his 10 years on this earth continues to touch so many lives! I know it makes him smile!!! If you are interested in donating or reading more about Spencer's Wishes visit http://www.spencerswishes.org/ They also donate hand made and store bought pj's to Ronald McDonald house in Provo, Utah. A blanket is sent home to a child on their first visit and the Roundy's wanted to make sure they have pj's too. They also donate pj's to children in safe houses. How sweet!!! I have been thinking about Spencer and Spencer's Wishes so much lately I just wanted to share!!!

No comments: