Thursday, October 28, 2010

We survived...barely

Last year Matty and I got the H1N1 vaccine because we have asthma, just in time for Matty to come down with it after being exposed before getting the vaccine. Well, everyone in our little family got it except me. I just got to get up all night each time one of them got it so I could give them their ibuprofen to keep their fevers down. Poor Matty had such a rough time with it! He was one sick boy! Luckily he was able to make it through without being hospitalized. Course he later had pneumonia and was hospitalized for that. Well, Zack has started having asthma problems this year and has an inhaler and everything now so I decided we better ALL get the vaccine this year, except for Brian of course because he's stubborn  :). Last year when Matty got the shot I had Gracie with me and had to hold her while trying to drag him, literally, kicking and screaming to the room to get his shot. I begged Brian to come with me this year to help control kids and to help fill out paper work since we were getting them at the health department. Thank goodness he eventually agreed to come with me. We got in the van as soon as Matty and Zack got off the bus. Once we started driving down the road, Max broke the news to them that they were getting flu shots. They both started bawling! Poor guys! Then when we headed for the shot room Matty started freaking out! He does that thing where he goes completely limp. Gotta love it when they do that. Then he starts screaming...I want it in my bum, I want it in my bum.  hahahaha He thinks it hurts less to have a shot in his bum than in his arm. Once I pried his coat off of him and 3 of us held him down, he got the shot in his arm and immediately stopped crying. Poor guy! You should have seen poor Gracie's eyes at this point. She thought he was being murdered or something. We are quite an entertaining group for shots. Sheesh! But at least we survived...barely!!!

1 comment:

Kale and Rowdy said...

This sounds just like Koufax getting shots...and he's almost 9. It's awful! He kicked the nurse when he was getting his 5 year old shots. And it wasn't a little kick. Horrible. And then my Jane sits perfectly still and doesn't even shed a tear. Exact opposites. Who knew the GIRL would be tough? :)