Sunday, October 10, 2010

Oh the horrors of Sunday School...

LOL! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our ward!!! We love all the members we have met so far and feel so welcome and at home. We're making friends and really enjoy going to church each week! The Relief Society teachers are amazing and we are really learning a lot about the Old Testament in Sunday School from our regular teacher as well as lots of subs that have taught the class. I even LIKE going to Sunday School here EXCEPT...I'm not a big fan of reading in public. It intimidates me. Especially reading Old Testament scriptures in public. I'm a chicken! Well, each of the teachers, the regular one as well as the subs, start at the front of the classroom and then everyone takes their turn reading until everyone in the class has had a turn. UGGHH!!! There is actually a rule in our church that you aren't supposed to do that for several reasons. One of the reasons is that someone might not be able to read well and it might offend them to be asked to read in front of everyone. One of the reasons is sometimes people have been disfellowshipped or excommunicated and they are not supposed to participate in prayers or any part of the service. They are supposed to just be there to learn and listen through their, hopefully, very PRIVATE time of repentance. None of these apply to me, I'm just EXTREMELY uncomfortable reading difficult scripture in front of people, call me crazy! But I really enjoy benefiting from this rule!! Reading in class or praying is supposed to be an entirely voluntary thing. Well, apparently our new ward does not know of this rule and they do this each week. Well, we are studying Isaiah and this week there was a DIFFERENT sub. Not only would she MAKE you read the scripture but then she would ask you to EXPLAIN or EXPOUND on the scripture. Can you imagine! It's Isaiah remember!! Seriously intimidating stuff! Finally, it was my new hero, Cristen's turn. When she finished reading the teacher asked her to explain the scriptures she just read. She said something like, I don't know, that's why I came to this class, because I don't understand Isaiah. I was hoping someone else would explain it to me. I had to force myself to not stand up and cheer! I did however, tell her how great I thought it was that she said that when class was over.  I'm sure for some people it seems just silly to be so uncomfortable about this but I'm also sure I'm not alone. I think it just always pays to try to be considerate of others and to try to always follow the rules that are set in place. Even if you don't understand the reason for the rules, they are in place for a reason.!!!

No comments: