Sunday, October 28, 2012

my two cents...


As I was driving down I-15 the other day, I noticed that they were painting the long line of gray concrete barriers, tan. Yes, they were painting them. Seriously?! There was a person walking along holding the painting sprayer hose, that was attached to a truck, that was being driven by a person. So, ever since then I can't help but wonder how much this process costs. How many hours does it take to paint concrete barriers that run all the way down the highway? How much does it cost to pay for the paint itself? How much money does it cost to pay the sprayer, hose, carrier, dude? How much money does the truck driver make? How much fuel does it take to run that truck while it's being used to spray paint the concrete barriers? Is this REAlly necessary? I don't know about the rest of y'all but my purse strings are pulled very tight these days. We have to budget every single penny and evaluate all purchases to decide whether they are necessary or not. We are trying to be responsible with our money and we have cut so many "extras" from our lives. Shouldn't the government have to cut extras too? Now, don't get me wrong. I am in full support of spending whatever it takes to make sure that our highways, streets, bridges, etc. are safe and sustainable. But, I'm pretty sure that painting the concrete barriers has absolutely nothing to do with the safety or sustainability of I-15.  And, that my friends, is my two cents...

No comments: