Monday, October 1, 2012

Never Say Never...

When Gracie was around 1 year old we came to visit my parents and went to church with them. We weren't sitting by my parents. We are always late for church. For some reason Brian wasn't with us. I think he may have been delivering a rental boat for J.J. because he did ride home with us. I can't remember why but anyway, there we were at church, just sitting there, minding our own business, attending church like we are supposed to, when all of a sudden Gracie starts puking. Everywhere. It got on some of the stuff that belonged to the people in front of us. It was a hard wood floor so it just kind of hit the floor and splattered everywhere. I...was...stunned! I literally froze. I don't know why but I just didn't know what the heck to do. I finally processed what I was seeing and  decided to just grab her and take her to the bathroom just in case she wasn't finished barfing. Some wonderful women from the ward rushed to get some paper towels and cleaned everything up.

Some of the words that were going through my mind as I was cleaning her up in the bathroom were: Embarrassed. Humiliated. Disgusted. Helpless. Grateful. Worried.

Embarrassed, humiliated and disgusted are self explanatory.

Helpless: Because there I was with 4 kids, one was stinky and covered in vomit. And she was wearing her Easter dress and her brand new lacy topped socks with her brand new white dress shoes. :(  And I couldn't just go back in there and help them clean it up because she was a time bomb, so they had to clean it up on their own.

Grateful: Complete strangers cleaned up that horrible mess on the floor during Sacrament Meeting. Now THAT is service let me tell you!

Worried: If this was a nasty virus then everyone in that area of the room were going to probably have puking families. Not cool! AND...we had to drive an hour to get back home with a puking child so that Brian could work the next day .

I made a FIRM decision that from that day forward I could NEVER step foot in my parent's ward building again. NEVER!!! Sooo...flash forward 2 years and we LIVE in the ward boundaries now and attend that ward every single week. No one has said anything about it. I have absolutely NO idea who the people were who cleaned up the puke. They did split the ward since then. Wouldn't it be so awesome if all of the nice people who shared that disgusting experience with us that day all go to the other ward now?! That would be soooo awesome! Awe, who am I kidding? With my luck they are all in our ward and have our faces permanently etched in their minds and will never forget the experience of being vomited on or cleaning someone else's kids' puke up. I am just going to try to put it in the back of my mind and hopefully no one ever brings it up because I would absolutely DIE of humiliation all over again!

No comments: