Saturday, November 3, 2012

Books

Today I am thankful for books! I LOVE to read! My mom loves to read, too, so she buys books, reads them, and then passes them over to me so I can read them. It's a great system! Several years ago my mom read "In An Instant" by Lee and Bob Woodruff.  If you haven't heard of it, it's the story of news reporter Bob Woodruff, who was one of the reporters who was in Iraq, imbed with military, inorder to report the happenings of the war with Iraq. He experienced head injuries as well as other phyisical injuries when the tank he was on drove over a bomb.
I have moved this book around with me for all these years, never reading it. It just sounded so sad and depressing to me. Well, I finally had the urge to read it. It takes me a really long time to read books these days. I steal time to read a bit here and there. But, this book has been so good. I am just over halfway through it. It shows the perspective of Lee and then the perspective of Bob, through his recovery process as well as flashing back to significant parts of the history of their relationship experiences, leading up to the incident. It's hard to describe but it's really great. It's a tale of history, as well as a love story. It's a REAL picture of love and marriage. Life isn't always a bowl of cherries and you see their difficulties as well as their triumphs.
I think the reason I felt it was time to read this book is that I needed to see that we aren't the only ones who go through ups and downs in our marriage and in our lives. No one's marriage is perfect but the subject is typically not going to be addressed. No one wants to admit to failure or difficulties in their marriage or in their lives. I have really struggled for a while now. Reading this book has helped me to not feel alone. I've struggled with some of the same trials they have faced and it's comforting to see others go through what you have and to see that they made it through it and so can you. But, even if you aren't struggling in your marriage, or in your life, their story is fabulous! It's a great read! I highly recommend it!




No comments: