Monday, July 5, 2010

An adventure...

This is the dam. The view on the other side of the bridge and dam is absolutely gorgeous!!  That canyon is beautiful!! Wish I had better pics!!!!


My brother in law J.J. (Stephanie's husband) asked Brian to take some jetskis to Wahweap at Lake Powell this weekend for him for his "Toy It Up" rentals business.  He would have to get there Saturday night so he could deliver a boat by 6am Sunday morning so J.J. got a hotel room in Page, Arizona for Brian for the night. I've been wanting to go on one of these trips with Brian but hadn't been able to yet. Usually he just drives down and back in the same day. Not fun with a new baby so there was no way we could do that last year and usually he drives a truck that doesn't have a lot of space for 6 people. Well, when I looked at the confirmation email from the hotel and saw that kids were free and there was a free continental breakfast and a swimming pool I jumped at the chance to go!  It was the closest thing we would be getting to a vacation this summer and all we had to spend money on was food! It had been a LLLOOONNNGGG week of being cooped up in the house staring at sick people, and being one of them, and a trip sounded so incredibly fantastic I just can't tell you! I had never been to Lake Powell before and thought it would be a fun adventure! We excitedly left home at about 10:15 Saturday morning.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the drive between Spanish Fork and Beaver! When we lived in Cedar City we made the trip oodles of times.  It's only about 2 1/2 hours from Cedar to Sp. Fork so the kids don't have time to get too crazy and the gas wasn't too costly and we live in such a beautiful state that just about anywhere you go is going to provide you with gorgeous scenery. I have missed those trips. We would hook the kids up to their dvd players and head phones and Brian and I would take turns picking music from our cd collection. We would sing together, visit with each other, and eat sunflower seeds. It's hard to find  the time to just sit beside each other for so long and catch up and reminisce and just BE!

I had only ever been as far as Panguitch before this weekend so it was exciting to see a new area of our beautiful state.  It is a simply gorgeous drive! The little towns from Panguitch to Kanab are so charming and cute. I thoroughly enjoyed the drive! Singing and visiting and seeing part of this great country we celebrated this weekend. We didn't get to light fireworks, attend a bbq, or see a parade but we had a lovely holiday.  We saw an absolutely gorgeous sunset, saw some of the most beautiful creations on this earth, listened to our Lee Greenwood's "American Patriot" cd and thoroughly enjoyed singing along to all those great patriotic songs, and we even caught a few illegal fireworks in the sky as we drove along in the dark. (We got home around 12:15 early Monday morning.)

The Glen Canyon Dam is so incredible to drive over. It is breath taking!!! The lake is so pretty too. We were going to take some pictures from the dam but didn't get a chance. Saturday night poor Brian was hit with the virus the rest of us had had during the week. It made Sunday's 3 deliveries interesting and the poor guy had to suffer through it while being in a car most of the day. He said he was glad I went with him since he really needed my help. I was so happy to be able to!!!  Can you believe I backed a boat trailer in the water while he loaded the boat on?!
 
Steph and J.J. let us take their Yukon on the trip instead of the truck Brian usually takes. It was so roomy and nice and we are so grateful to them for being so thoughtful and generous as always!!! We are just praying they don't get this virus! NOT FUN STUFF!!!

After taking this fun little trip I have decided that one of these years I want to take a trip across Utah. I want to not have a single agenda. I want to just go where our curiosity leads us. I want to stop at antique stores, and little museums, and tourist attractions along the way. I want to know the story of that big ol' bell in one of those little towns we drove through. And that cute church! I want to know it's story! I want to see the handmade porcelain dolls and stop at Cove Fort again and go to Jabob Hamblin's home, and stop at pioneer museums.  I want to stop at scenic overlooks and eat at mom and pop joints. I want to hike. I want to put my feet in rivers and swim in lakes. I want to sleep in mountains and go to Lagoon. I want to eat cheese curd from that cheese factory. I want to EXPERIENCE this gorgeous state!  There is so much to offer here! We can't afford to go to Europe or New York or even to Lagoon this year but I had so much fun just experiencing a bit more of this great state. I look forward to exploring it more  some day.  Hopefully we'll have a truck and camp trailor by then and we can just sleep where ever the road takes us. Just take it easy and relaxed and just ENJOY!! Wouldn't that be FUN!!!!

2 comments:

Tara said...

Sounds like a great getaway! I'd love to just drive around and eat good food at the mom and pop diners and check out the fun little shops too...I've been wanting to go from here to Idaho, to Oregon, to Washington - just for fun! If only the kids, the car and the checkbook would cooperate!

JJ and Stephanie said...

So glad you guys enjoyed yourselves! I hope the kids had fun!