Thursday, March 29, 2012

Long time no post...

I have been terrible at keeping up with my blog these past few months!

~Zack has been busy with baseball practices, school, the science fair (he was disappointed to only get a participation ribbon for his science fair project. You win some, you lose some I say...), band and band concerts, student council, peak, debates, cooking, reading books, and scouts. He's loving life! Last semester he wasn't doing so well at keeping it all organized and we told him he had to bring his grades up or something had to go. This semester he has really improved his grades and got a wonderful report from his teacher. He brought home his 7th grade registration paper yesterday. I almost cried. He'll be 12 years old at the end of April and will even be a Deacon. The time is flying by so quickly! He's such a great kid!

~Matthew had his first ever Pinewood Derby last night. He has looked forward to this moment ever since Zack's first Pinewood Derby. He won 1st prize last night! He was SOOO excited!!! I was at Zack's baseball practice and his science fair with Zack and Gracie so I missed the whole thing but I got a very detailed play by play of the whole thing. Matthew, Brian, and Max were so happy! Apparently Matty's car was about a foot to a foot and a half behind on the final race when all of a sudden it just took off and left the other car in it's dust. They said it looked like it had a motor and they suddenly floored it or something. I'll try to post a picture of it but Brian learned after Zack's first derby that the cars that are a simple wedge seem to win more than the ones that are intricately carved like Zack's was that day. He's also loving school and doing so well! He has lots of cute little friends. I was able to go on his class field trip with him last week. It was really fun and very informative. I learned lots! We walked from his school to the radio station on the corner on main street, the bank, and the post office and were taken on tours of each place before walking to a park and eating our sack lunches. I'll admit it sounded kind of lame to me but it was actually very cool and they even recorded his class for a commercially type spot on the radio that played that afternoon. Matthew was so excited to hear it! My favorite part (besides visiting with Tamra and Mysti and getting to hold cute little, chubby, 4 month old Landon) was learning all about the radio station and how it works. It was really cool!

~Max and Matthew will hopefully be on the same baseball team this year. They had tryouts last Saturday. Max LIVES for baseball so he is beyond thrilled to get to start practices. He is doing so well in school and is so happy! His teacher loves him. She said he'll finish his work super fast and then he'll help the other kids or she'll let him play with a dry erase board thing. She said she has to find something to keep him busy all the time. He's passed off more sight words than anyone else. He's well into the 200's. He wants to finish them all since Matthew did that in kindergarten and Max is Mr. Competitive!! He is such a sweet boy and I just love him so much!

~Gracie is still cracking us up with her 2 year old speak. The other day she fell down and said,"Ouch, that hurt my nuggets." We all died laughing but none of us broke the news to her that, unlike her 2 big brothers, she does not have nuggets. She has grown so much! People always thinks she's 4 years old instead of 2. She loves nursery finally and looks so forward to going to church each week. And she LOVES playing outside. We have to be much more careful lately about always closing the door tight so she doesn't escape. There was a cute little 1st grade girl from my kids' school, who was hit by a car around the corner from us on the highway a couple of weeks ago. Poor little girl! She is at Primary Children's in a medically induced coma while her poor little body recovers from all of her many injuries. That has always been my biggest nightmare about living here!



We've also started having a treasure chest for the kids. If they do the chores we ask of them they get a check mark by their name on the chore chart. Once they get 3 checks they get to get something out of the treasure box. So far it has been WONDERFUL! The treasures are just silly little trinkets from the $ store and Walmart but they are the coolest things ever to them! We put a $5 item in their also and they have to do more chores to be able to earn it. It has made things so much calmer around here and they have even stopped fighting as much ever since my last lecture.  LOL They still fight but just not so much. Life is good. Hard, but good. Our sweet little kids sure make life worth living!! :)

~Now, a couple of Facebook posts I planned to post on here but never did.

March 19: So, tomorrow is picture day at our kids' school. Tonight Matthew decided it would be so super cool to partially shave his eyebrows off with Brian's beard trimmer...oy vey! Oh, Brian just told me it was his razor not his beard trimmer. Greaaaat!

March 25: Debbie Gibson's makeup looks like my cosmetology mannequin's makeup looked. That's not a good thing. I'm just sayin'... :~)

And by the way, I still LOVE Pinterest! I won't see the Y.W until after Easter so I made this little treat that I found on Pinterest. When we were Christmas Caroling in December one of the girls asked what "kin" means in We Wish You a Merry Christmas. They were explaining it to her and I said, they're you peeps. :) After that they started singing it, "Good tidings to you and all of your peeps."  So the idea I found on Pinterest was perfect! You dip a normal size pretzel (not the mini ones) in chocolate. I used pink Wilton's chocolate. Then you dip the bottom of a marshmallow Peep in chocolate and set it on the pretzel. Then you can sprinkle some cute little sprinkles on the chocolate. Then I placed them in individual clear treat bags that I got in the party section at Walmart for a buck. Then I tied a bow with a ribbon and curled the ends. Then I made a little tag that I attached to the ribbon that said, "Happy Easter to one of my favorite "Peeps"!"

Brian has made some of the dinners that are on Pinterest and made buffalo wings using one of the recipes. I love the ideas for conference for the kids! I want to try some of the Easter ideas also.

Please ignore any mistakes. I'll read it later and fix them.

No comments: