Thursday, November 18, 2010

Putting Christ back in Christmas, Part 2...

At Shani's request, here are the things I wrote on my papers in my jar.  Hope this helps!

Sing  I Know That My Redeemer Lives  Hymn 136
Sing  The Lord Is My Light  Hymn 89
Sing  I Feel My Savior's Love  Page 74 (childrens' songbook)
Sing  A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief   Hymn 29  
John 9:1-11
John 11:1-45
Mark 7:33-37
3 Nephi 17:11-25
Matthew 9:1-8
Luke 8:41-56
John 13:34-35
Matthew 14:14-21
Read "None Were With Him" by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland  ( I found this on lds.org it was from the May 2009 Conference Issue
Ether Chapter 3
READ  How Great Thou Art  Hymn 86  (I decided reading it would be better because I cry when I read it or sing it so I can just have someone else read it and cry without sounding like a freak. Such a beautiful song!)
Matthew 3:13-17
Luke 17:12-19
Sing  I'm Trying To Be Like Jesus  Page 78
Matthew 6:1-4
Matthew 14:22-33
3 Nephi 17:4-10
Read "The Certainty of the Ressurrection" by President Spencer W. Kimball ( I will just read the first part of this talk. Found it on lds.org)
Sing  I Stand All Amazed   Hymn 193
Christmas Eve: Read Luke 2    Sing Jesus, Once of Humble Birth (Remember to put this one on a different kind of paper so that it stands out as the one to save until Christmas Eve)


You can certainly mix this up and change things to what you like better or whatever. Maybe you'd rather sing a song about Resurrection or read a different article that means a lot to you. You can personalize it however you want but this is what worked for our little family.  

P.S.  Make sure the mouth of your jar is big enough to put your hand in. Mine barely is I just discovered. Brian would never be able to fit his hand in there. HEHEHE  Might want to check that detail out before decorating up your pretty jar. Course maybe kids' hands would fit or you could shake the papers out. Remember that I printed the references on the white, back side of  pretty Christmas paper to make the jar look prettier. Hope you have fun with it! :)

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Good idea!!

Shani said...

YAY!!!! Thank You so much Tara, now I know that our family can use this to put Christ back in Christmas a little more at our house too. You're the BEST :)