Friday, August 19, 2011

A Little Ramble

This is a post from one of my friend's on Facebook who lives in Topeka, Kansas:

No electricity, cable TV, ac, Internet, laptop is almost dead, cell phone almost dead, what did people used to do before electronics? This is really horrible. Hmm how am I suppose to sleep?
Later she said this:
Just heard there are 19,000 of is in this situation. And they have no idea what the problem is or how much longer it going to be...Uhggghg..
Someone suggested she get a generator, to which she replied: We have one its too bad to go outside to start it up. But if it lasts much longer I'm going to have to suck it up and go fire it up lol!


It got me thinking, we all use cell phones and many people don't even have land lines anymore. We didn't have one until the stupid Internet company here forced us to. The phone we have for our land line is a cordless phone. If our power is out, our phone does not work. It's kind of freaky if you think about it. I mean what if something like that happened to us and we needed to call 911 and we couldn't because all of our phones are completely dependent on electricity.

At Church we are always learning about how important it is to have a good food storage. Also, to have soap, toilet paper, toothpaste, you know, the basic toiletries and such. It just never occurred to me to make sure we have a corded phone that doesn't require electricity.

I used to think we all needed to have food storage in case some sort of natural disaster or some such thing that would leave you with no way to get food or supplies. I learned that lesson at a young age when my dad and I had to walk 6 blocks in the snow to the nearest grocery store to get food for our family. My cousin lives in Australia and they had major flooding this year and they didn't have too much damage where they lived but food trucks couldn't get to their town because of the damage to the roads. They were so grateful to have food storage. 

Some years ago I learned how important it can be for a family to have food storage. My friend's husband lost his job as a big wig at Geneva Rock. They had 6 kids and a large home and a couple vehicles. Well, they had quite a lot of money in savings and they were able to live for 6 months off of savings and food storage. She sold Tupperware to help pay for perishables, etc. that they needed. I was so impressed that because they chose to follow the council of church leaders, to not be in a lot of debt and to have savings and food storage, they were able to survive a difficult situation. Her husband was able to take some college classes during that time that would help him be more able to find work. 

I've been really feeling like we need to start having a food storage. We have a hard enough time feeding our family from month to month, having enough money to buy food storage often seems out of reach.  We're doing the best we can to start having food storage. It feels so good to at least start the process. We have a long way to go!!! And I am definitely adding a corded phone to my list of  essentials to store!!!

No comments: